Productivity and relaxation are becoming increasingly important in today’s professional world. The demands in terms of productivity on the job are increasing, making relaxation periods more and more important in order to have enough energy to work effectively.
However, by finding a healthy balance between productivity and relaxation, we can more effectively achieve our goals, promote our physical and mental well-being, and in the process, sustainably increase our productivity overall.
Here are five tips that can help you find that balance.
Quick tip #1: Prioritize
Why prioritization is important?
Prioritization allows us to use our time and energy more effectively, focusing on the tasks that get us closer to our goals. By consciously choosing which tasks to do first, we can also get more organized and plan ahead.
How to set your priorities?
In order to set your priorities, you should create an overview of your
upcoming tasks. For this you can use a to-do list or a
Then think about which tasks are especially important and which are less urgent. The Eisenhower method is the perfect tool for this.
Practical examples: Here are some practical examples of how you set priorities in practice:
- Set daily priorities: Every morning, take a few minutes to review your tasks for the day and decide what priority they have.
- Use time blocks: Divide your day into time blocks and set aside specific times for specific tasks. This way you avoid being distracted by other tasks.
- Delegate tasks: If possible, delegate tasks that are less important or that someone else can do better.
- Focus on one task: avoid multitasking and focus on one task at a time to be more effective and efficient.
Quick Tip #2: Time Management
After you’ve established your priorities, the next step is to effectively accomplish the tasks at hand. Different time management techniques can help you stay focused and make the best use of your time.
Pomodoro is a technique developed by Francesco Cirillo to increase focus and productivity. The technique involves dividing work tasks into 25-minute blocks of time, followed by a short 5-minute break. Four pomodoros are followed by a longer break of 15-30 minutes. This method helps focus on a specific task and minimize distractions.
Create time blocks
Another technique is to work with blocks of time based on the type and duration of each task. For example, you might schedule 15 minutes for emails or social media and 90 minutes for complex tasks like writing a report. Dividing your time into blocks keeps you focused and prevents you from getting lost in details or distracted by other tasks.
How you avoid distractions?
Distractions can throw off entire priority lists because you can’t keep to the schedule you’ve set for yourself due to distractions. There are several strategies to avoid distractions, such as:
- Turn off or set aside your cell phone or other electronic devices.
- Use special programs that block access to certain websites or applications.
- Create an optimal work environment with as few distractions as possible, such as noise or messy desks.
Quick tip #3: Take breaks
Breaks help relieve stress, increase energy levels, boost creativity or improve concentration. Without breaks, we tire more quickly and our brains begin to process information more slowly. Taking breaks helps replenish our energy reserves and relax our brains.
How to take a break the right way?
It is important to find the right break for yourself. Therefore, try different techniques and see which one works best for you. Some people prefer short breaks of 5-10 minutes after every hour of work, while others prefer longer breaks of 30 minutes every few hours.
Here are 3 ways you can make the most of breaks:
- Get moving – Go for a walk or do some light stretching to relax your body. Fresh air is good for your brain too!
- Consciously relax – Use the break to breathe deeply, meditate, or close your eyes for a few minutes.
- Talk to someone – Talk to a colleague or friend to get to know your social needs and relax your brain.
Quick tip #4: Use relaxation techniques
Relaxation techniques help reduce stress, improve sleep quality, increase concentration and improve well-being. By taking time to relax on a regular basis, we can get our bodies and minds back in sync and also be more focused on our tasks at work.
Here are 3 of the most popular relaxation techniques for working professionals:
1. Yoga: Yoga can help strengthen the body, increase flexibility and promote relaxation.
2. Meditation: Meditation is a technique of focusing on the breath or a specific thought to calm the mind.
3. Breathing Exercises – Breathing exercises are a quick and easy way to relieve stress and calm the mind. A popular breathing exercise is 4-7-8 breathing, where you inhale for four seconds, hold your breath for seven seconds, and then exhale for eight seconds.
It’s important that you incorporate these relaxation techniques into your daily routine. Make a conscious effort to do so. Schedule a short time out for yourself every day, where you don’t get distracted and try a relaxation technique of your choice.
For example, a good way to do this is to combine your activities with the relaxation techniques. For example, do a yoga session before bedtime.
Quick tip #5: Avoid multitasking
Humans are not made to multi-task. In fact, research has shown that multitasking leads to a decrease in productivity and more errors.
Focusing on one task takes practice and self-discipline. One important step is to establish priorities and allocate time windows for each task.
Practical tips for strong focus
There are some practical tips you can implement to improve your focus. For example, you can try to optimize your work environment by removing distracting objects and creating a clear work space. Techniques, such as Pomodoro or other methods for focused work will help you implement this.
In order to live healthy and develop professionally, the balance between productivity (tension) and relaxation is a very effective recipe for success. Therefore, try to implement the presented tips and tools in the best possible way. You will notice that it will positively influence your life.
Try timeghost for free for 14 days!
Use timeghost to increase your productivity and get an overview of the working hours of your company’s employees.
Try our software during the 14-day trial period or book a live demo, where we will show you the application and answer any questions you may have regarding our tool!
We are looking forward to seeing you!
In this article you will see a quick guide on how you can start using timeghost in your company or team in just a few minutes.
Get the timeghost Teams App
All you need to do is install the Teams App directly from the AppSource Store in the application. The time tracking app includes all the features you know from the web client, and since you use your Office 365 account to access timeghost, you’ll be done in seconds.